Thank you for joining yesterday’s follow-up call with our business stakeholders.
We heard from many of you that the Economic Development Office (EDO) website, particularly that the selector tool function has been helpful in understanding the provincial and federal government supports provided. We will continue to update the content as new information becomes available.
To further support you, Bonnie Brown – Director of EDO, spoke about the upcoming series of educational seminars, as well as one on one consultations with lawyers, accountants and business consultants to help you navigate through this time. I encourage you to take advantage of these additional resources.
In terms of other key priorities, we heard the following:
- There needs to be greater clarity around the introduction of federal government supports (i.e. wage subsidies);
- Businesses are beginning to look ahead to recovery and would like the City to consider additional relief measures where possible, as well as marketing and promotional materials to encourage consumers to visit Mississauga businesses when this is over.
- Specific and acute concern was expressed by small businesses about the impact to “mainstreet.” There was encouragement to have a specific small business recovery strategy when the crisis passes.
- The need to ensure that commercial landlords are indeed passing on the property tax relief on to their tenants;
- Greater need for security/police patrolling around commercial areas.
We will continue to work to find ways and urge our provincial and federal partners for the continued support that you have raised.
I look forward to continuing these calls with you in the near future. My staff will be reaching out to you in the weeks ahead to inform you of our next discussion.
Mayor of Mississauga